Online Encyclopedia

HOCHST

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 554 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HOCHST, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau on the Main, 6 m. by rail W. of Frankfort-on-Main. Pop. (1905) 14,121. It is a busy industrial town with large dye-works and manufactures of machinery, snuff, tobacco, waxcloth, gelatine, furniture and biscuits. Brewing is carriedon and there is a considerable river trade. The Roman Catholic church of St Justinus is a fine basilica originally built in the gth century; it has been restored several times, and a Gothic choir was added in the 15th century. The town has also an Evangelical church and a synagogue, and a statue of Bismarck by Alois Mayer. Hochst belonged formerly to the electors of Mainz who had a palace here; this was destroyed in 1634 with the exception of one fine tower which still remains. In 1622 Christian, duke of Brunswick, was defeated here by Count Tilly, and in 1795 the Austrians gained a victory here over the French. Hochst is also the name of a small town in Hesse. This has some manufactures, and was formerly the seat of a Benedictine monastery.
End of Article: HOCHST
[back]
HOCHHEIM
[next]
HOCHSTADT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.