Online Encyclopedia

HOCHSTADT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 554 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HOCHSTADT, a town of Bavaria, Germany, in the district of Swabia, on the left bank of the Danube, 34 M. N.E. of Ulm by rail. Pop. (1905) 2305. It has three Roman Catholic churches, a castle flanked by walls and towers and some small industries, including malting and brewing. Hochstadt, which came into the possession of Bavaria in 1266, has been a place of battles. Here Frederick of Hohenstaufen, vicegerent of the Empire for Henry IV., was defeated by Henry's rival, Hermann of Luxemburg, in 1081; in 1703 the Imperialists were routed here by Marshal Villars in command of the French; in August 1704 Marlborough and Prince Eugene defeated the French and Bavarians commanded by Max Emanuel, the elector of Bavaria and Marshal Tallard, this battle being usually known as that of Blenheim; and in June 1800 an engagement took place here between the Austrians and the French. There is another small town in Bavaria named Hochstadt. Pop. 2000. This is on the river Aisch, not far from Bamberg, to which bishopric it belonged from 1157 to 1802, when it was ceded to Bavaria.
End of Article: HOCHSTADT
[back]
HOCHST
[next]
BARON FERDINAND CHRISTIAN VON HOCHSTETTER (1829—1...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.