Online Encyclopedia

HOHENASPERG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 570 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HOHENASPERG, an ancient fortress of Germany, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, ro m. N. of Stuttgart, is situated on a conical hill, limo ft. high, overlooking the town of Asperg. It was formerly strongly fortified and was long the state prison of the kingdom of Wurttemberg. Among the many who have been interned here may be mentioned the notorious Jew financier, Joseph Suss-Oppenheimer (1692–1738) and the poet C. F. D. Schubart (1739–1791). It is now a reformatory. Hohenasperg originally belonged to the counts of Calw; it next passed to the counts palatine of Tubingen and from them was acquired in 1308 by Wurttemberg. In 1535 the fortifications were extended and strengthened, and in 1635 the town was taken by the Imperialists, who occupied it until 1649. See Schon, Die Staatsgefangenen von Hohenasperg (Stuttgart, 1899) ; and Biffart, Geschichte der Wurttembergischen Feste Hohenasperg (Stuttgart, 1858).
End of Article: HOHENASPERG
[back]
HOGSHEAD
[next]
HOHENFRIEDBERG, or HOHENFRIEDEBERG

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.