Online Encyclopedia

HOLGUIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 584 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HOLGUIN, a town of the high plateau country in the interior of Oriente province, Cuba, about 65 m. N.W. of Santiago de Cuba. Pop. (1907) 7592. The town is near the Maranon and Jigue rivers, on a plain from which hills rise on all sides except the E., on which side it is open to the winds of the plateau. Holguin was long the principal acclimatization station for Spanish troops. The oldest public buildings are two churches built in 1800 and 1809 respectively. Holguin has trade in cabinet woods, tobacco, Indian corn and cattle products, which it exports through its port Gibara, about 25 M. N.N.E., with which it is connected by railway. Holguin was settled about 1720 and became a ciudad (city) in 1751. In the Ten Years' War of 1868–78 and in the revolution of 1895–98 Holguin was an insurgent centre.
End of Article: HOLGUIN
[back]
SAMUEL HOLDHEIM (18o6-186o)
[next]
HOLIDAY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.