Online Encyclopedia

HOLZMINDEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 624 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HOLZMINDEN, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Bruns-wick, on the right bank of the Weser, at the foot of the Sollinger Mountains, at the junction of the railways Scherfede-Holzminden and Soest-Borssum, 56 m. S.W. of Brunswick. Pop. (1905) 9938. It has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, a gymnasium, an architectural school and a school of engineering. The prosperity of the town depends chiefly on agriculture and the manufacture of iron and steel wares, and of chemicals, but weaving and the making of pottery are also carried on, and there are baryta mills and polishing-mills for sandstone. By means of the Weser it carries on a lively trade. Holzminden obtained municipal rights from Count Otto of Eberstein in 1245, and in 1410 it came into the possession of Brunswick.
End of Article: HOLZMINDEN
[back]
HOLYWOOD
[next]
HOLZTROMPETE (Wooden Trumpet)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.