Online Encyclopedia

HUBERTUSBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V13, Page 846 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
HUBERTUSBURG, a chateau in the kingdom of Saxony, near the village of Wermsdorf and midway 6 m. between the towns Oschatz and Grimma. It was built in 1721-1724 by Frederick Augustus II., elector of Saxony, subsequently King Augustus III. of Poland, as a hunting box, and was often the scene of brilliant festivities. It is famous for the peace signed here on the 15th of February 1763, which ended the Seven Years' War. After undergoing various vicissitudes, it now serves the purpose of a lunatic asylum and a training school for nursing sisters. See Riemer, Das Schloss Hubertusburg, sons, and jetzt (Oschatz, 1881).
End of Article: HUBERTUSBURG
[back]
HUBERT (HUCBERTUS, HUGBERTUS), ST (d. 727)
[next]
HUBLI

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.