Online Encyclopedia

ILCHESTER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 299 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ILCHESTER, a market town in the southern parliamentary division of Somersetshire, England, in the valley of the river Ivel or Yeo, 5 M. N.W. of Yeovil. It is connected by a stone bridge with the village of Northover on the other side of the river. Ilchester has lost the importance it once possessed, and had in 1901 a population of only 564, but its historical interest is considerable. The parish church of St Mary is Early English and Perpendicular, with a small octagonal tower, but has been largely restored in modern times. The town possesses almshouses founded in 1426, a picturesque cross, and a curious ancient mace of the former corporation. Ilchester (Cair Pensavelcoit, Ischalis, Ivelcestre, Yevelchester) was a fortified British settlement, and subsequently a military station of the Romans, whose Fosse Way passed through it. Its importance continued in Saxon times, and in io86 it was a royal borough with 107 burgesses. In 118o a gild merchant was established, and the county gaol was completed in 1188. Henry II. granted a charter, confirmed by John in '1203, which gave Ilchester the same liberties as Winchester, with freedom from tolls and from being impleaded without the walls, the fee farm being fixed at £26, 1os. od. The bailiffs of Ilchester are mentioned before 1230. The borough was incorporated in 1556, the fee farm being reduced to £8. Ilchester was the centre of the county administration from the reign of Edward III. until the 19th century, when the change from road to rail travelling completed the decay of the town. Its place has been taken by Taunton. The corporation was abolished in 1886. Parliamentary representation began in 1298, and the town continued to return two members until 1832. A fair on the 29th of August was granted by the charter of 1203. Other fairs on the 27th of December, the 22nd of July, and the Monday before Palm Sunday, were held under a charter of 1289. The latter, fixed as the 25th of March, was still held at the end of the 18th century, but there is now no fair. The Wednesday market dates from before the Conquest. The manufacture of thread lace was replaced by silk weaving about 17 0, but this has decayed. LE-DE-FRANCE, an old district of France, forming a kind of island, bounded by the Seine, the Marne, the Beuvronne, the Theve and the Oise. In this sense the name is not found in written documents before 1429; but in the second half of the 15th century it designated a wide military province 'of government, bounded N. by Picardy, W. by Normandy, S. by Orleanais and Nivernais, and E. by Champagne. Its capital was Paris. From the territory of Ile-de-France were formed under the Revolution the department of the Seine, together with the greater part of Seine-et-Oise, Seine-et-Marne, Oise and Aisne, and a small part of Loiret and Nievre. (The term Ile-de-France is also used for Mauritius, q.v.). See A. Longnon, " L'Ile-de-France, son origine, ses limites, ses gouverneurs," in the Memoires de la Societe de l'histoire de Paris et de l'ple-de-France, vol. i. (1875).
End of Article: ILCHESTER
[back]
ILAGAN
[next]
ILETSK

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.