Online Encyclopedia

ILFORD [GREAT ILFORD]

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 299 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ILFORD [GREAT ILFORD], an urban district in the Romford parliamentary division of Essex, England, on the Roding, 7 M. E.N.E. of London by the Great Eastern railway. Pop. (1891) 10,913, (1901) 41,234. A portion of Hainault Forest lies within the parish. The hospital of St Mary and St Thomas, founded in the 12th century as a leper hospital, now contains almshouses and a chapel, and belongs to the marquess of Salisbury, who as " Master " is required to maintain a chaplain and six aged inmates. The chapel appears to be of the date of this foundation. Claybury Hall is a lunatic asylum (1893) of the London County Council. There are large photographic material works and paper mills. LITTLE ILFORD is a parish on the opposite (west) side of the Roding. The church of St Mary retains Norman portions, and has a curious monumental brass commemorating a boy in school-going clothes (1517). Pop. (1901) 17,915.
End of Article: ILFORD [GREAT ILFORD]
[back]
ILFELD
[next]
ILFRACOMBE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.