Online Encyclopedia

ILKESTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 300 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ILKESTON, a market town and municipal borough, in the Ilkeston parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, 9 M. E.N.E. of Derby, on the Midland and the Great Northern railways. Pop. (1891) 19i744, (1901) 25,384. It is situated on a hill commanding fine views of the Erewash valley. The church of St Mary is Norman and Early English, and has a fine chancel screen dating from the later part of the 13th century. The manufactures of the town are principally hosiery and lace, and various kinds of stoneware. Coal and iron are wrought in the neighbourhood. An alkaline mineral spring, resembling the seltzer water of Germany, was discovered in 1830, and baths were then erected, which, however, were subsequently closed. The town, which is very ancient, being mentioned in Domesday, obtained a grant for a market and fair in 1251, and received its charter of incorporation in 1887. It is governed by a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 2526 acres.
End of Article: ILKESTON
[back]
ILION
[next]
ILKLEY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.