Online Encyclopedia

INTERLAKEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 693 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
INTERLAKEN, a Swiss town (1864 ft.) in the canton of Berne, situated on the flat plain (BOdeli) between the lakes of Brienz (E.) and of Thun (W.), and connected by steamer, as well as by railway (171 m.) with the town of Thun. It is built on the left bank of the Aar, and grew up around the religious house of Austin Canons, founded about 1130 and suppressed in 1528. In the surviving buildings of the convent religious services (Anglican, Scottish Presbyterian and French Protestant) are now held, while the more modern castle is occupied by offices of the Cantonal Government. The fine and well-shaded avenue called the Hoheweg runs through the main portion of the town, and is lined on the north side by a succession of huge hotels and the large Kursaal. Interlaken is much frequented in summer, partly because of the glorious view of the Jungfrau (13,669 ft.) which it commands to the south, and partly because it is the best starting-point for many excursions, as. to Schynige Platte, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. The lines serving these places all start from the eastern railway station (that from Thun reaches the western or main railway station), whence steamers depart for the Giessbach Falls, Brienz and Meiringen, on the way to Lucerne or to the Grimsel Pass. In 1900 the population of Interlaken was 2962 (mainly Protestant and German-speaking). Opposite Interlaken, and on the right bank of the Aar is Unterseen (in 1900, 2607 inhabitants), which was built in 1280 by Berthol.d von Eschenbach. See Fontes rerum Bernensium (original documents up to 1366) (8 vols., Berne, 1883–1903) ; Die Regesten des Klosters zu Interlaken (Coire, 1849) ; E. Tatarinoff, Die Entwickelung der Probstei Interlaken im XIII. Jahrhundert (Schaffhausen, 1892). (W. A. B. C.) has no concern. This word, with the verbal form " to interlope," first appears at the end of the 16th and beginning of the 17th the line. In this way Michelson obtained important information century In connexion with the interference of unauthorized as to the constitution of the approximately homogeneous lines I persons in the trading monopoly of the Russia Company and obtained from electrical discharge through attenuated metallic later of the East India Company. The New English Dictionary vapours. Especially valuable is the vacuum tube containing notes from H. Lane (1590), Hakluyt's Voyages, " From those cadmium. The red line proved itself to be single and narrow in g a high degree, and the green line was not far behind. Parts the Muscovites were furnished out of Dutchland by But although in Michelson's hands the apparatus has done ex- enterlopers with all arts and artificers and had few or none cellent spectroscopic work, it is not without its weak points. A good deal of labour is required to interpret the visibility curves, and in some cases the indications are actually ambiguous. For instance, it is usually impossible to tell on which side of the principal component a feebler companion lies. It would seem that for spectroscopic purposes this apparatus must yield to that of Fabry and Perot, in which multiple reflections are utilized; this is a spectroscope in the literal sense, inasmuch as the constitution of a spectrum line is seen by simple inspection. (R.)
End of Article: INTERLAKEN
[back]
INTERLACED ARCHES
[next]
INTERNAL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.