Online Encyclopedia

INVERURIE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 722 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
INVERURIE, a royal, municipal and police burgh of Aberdeen-shire, Scotland, situated at the confluence of the rivers Don and Ury, 164 m. N.W. of Aberdeen by rail, on the Great North of Scotland railway. Pop. (19o1) 3624. Paper-making, milling, and the making of mineral waters are the chief manufactures, but the town is an important centre of the cattle trade with London, markets being held at frequent intervals. It also contains the workshops of the Great North of Scotland railway. Inverurie belongs to the Elgin district group of parliamentary burghs. At Harlaw, about 3 M. to the N.W., was fought in 1411 the great battle between Donald, lord of the Isles, and the royal forces under the earl of Mar. Not far from the scene of this conflict stands Balquhain Castle, a seat of the Leslies, now a mere shell, which was occupied by Queen Mary in September 1562 before the fight at Corrichie between her forces, led by the earl of Moray, and those of the earl of Huntly. The granite block from which she is said to have viewed the combat is still called the Queen's Chair or the Maiden Stone. Near Bennachie (1619 ft.) are stone circles and monoliths supposed to be of Druidical origin. There is a branch line from Inverurie to Old Meldrum, 5 m. to the N.E. by rail, a market town with a charter dating from 1672, where brewing and distilling are carried on.
End of Article: INVERURIE
[back]
INVERSION (Lat. invertere, to turn about)
[next]
INVESTITURE (Late Lat. investitura)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.