Online Encyclopedia

IONIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V14, Page 728 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
IONIA, a city and the county-seat of Ionia county, Michigan, U.S.A., on the Grand river, about 34 M. E. of Grand Rapids. Pop. (1904) 5222; (1910) 5030. It is served by the Grand Trunk and the Pere Marquette railways. The greater part of the city is built on the bottom-lands of the valley within an area 2 M. in length and 1 m. in width, but some of the finest residences stand on the hills, which form an irregular semicircle behind the city, and command extensive views of the valley. Much of the building material is a brown sandstone obtained from quarries only 3 M. distant; white clay, also, is found in the vicinity. The city is a trade centre for a rich farming district, has car-shops (of the Pere Marquette railway) and iron foundries, and manufactures wagons, pottery, furniture and clothing. The water-works are owned and operated by the municipality. Ionia was settled in 1833 by immigrants from German Flats, near Herkimer, New York. It was incorporated as a village in 1857, but the charter was allowed to lapse; it was again incorporated as a village in 1865, and was chartered as a city in 1873.
End of Article: IONIA
[back]
IONA
[next]
IONIAN ISLANDS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.