Online Encyclopedia

JAGERNDORF (Czech, Krnov)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 125 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
JAGERNDORF (Czech, Krnov), a town of Austria, in Silesia, 18 m. N.W. of Troppau by rail. Pop. (1900), 14,675, mostly German. It is situated on the Oppa and possesses a chateau belonging to Prince Liechtenstein, who holds extensive estates in the district. Jagerndorf has large manufactories of cloth, woollens, linen and machines, and carries on an active trade. On the neighbouring hill of Burgberg (1420 ft.) are a church, much visited as a place of pilgrimage, and the ruins of the seat of the former princes of Jagerndorf. The claim of Prussia to the principality of Jagerndorf was the occasion of the first Silesian war (1740-1742), but in the partition, which followed, Austria retained the larger portion of it. Jagerndorf suffered severely during the Thirty Years' War, and was the scene of engagements between the Prussians and Austrians in May 1745 and in January 1779.
End of Article: JAGERNDORF (Czech, Krnov)
[back]
GUSTAV JAGER (1832– )
[next]
JAGERSFONTEIN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.