Online Encyclopedia

JULICH (Fr. fullers)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 549 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
JULICH (Fr. fullers), a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the right bank of the Roer, 16 m. N. E. of Aix-la-Chapelle. Pop. (1900), 5459• It contains an Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches, a gymnasium, a school for non-commissioned officers, which occupies the former ducal palace, and a museum of local antiquities. Its manufactures include sugar, leather and paper. Julich (formerly also Gulch, Guliche) the capital of the former duchy of that name, is the Juliacum of the Antonini Itinerarium; some have attributed its origin to Julius Caesar. It became a fortress in the 17th century, and was captured by the archduke Leopold in 1609, by the Dutch under Maurice of Orange in 161o, and by the Spaniards in 1622. In 1794 it was taken by the French, who held it until the peace of Paris in 1814. Till 186o, when its works were demolished, Julich ranked as a fortress of the second class.
End of Article: JULICH (Fr. fullers)
[back]
JULICH
[next]
STANISLAS JULIEN (1797?-1873)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.