Online Encyclopedia

KARL FRIEDRICH AUGUST KAHNIS (1814-1888)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 635 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KARL FRIEDRICH AUGUST KAHNIS (1814-1888), German Lutheran theologian, was born at Greiz on the 22nd of December 1814. He studied at Halle, and in r85o was appointed professor ordinarius at Leipzig. Ten years later he was made canon of Meissen. He retired in 1886, and died on the loth of June 1888 at Leipzig. Kahnis was at first a neo-Lutheran, blessed by E. W. Hengstenberg and his pietistic friends. He then attached himself to the Old Lutheran party, interpreting Lutheranism in a broad and liberal spirit and showing some appreciation of rationalism. His Lutherische Dogmatik, historischgenetisch dargestellt (3 vols., 1861-1868; 2nd ed. in 2 vols., 1894-1875), by making concessions to modern criticism, by spiritualizing and adapting the old dogmas, by attacking the idea of an infallible canon of Scripture and the conventional theory of inspiration, by laying stress on the human side' of Scripture and insisting on the progressive character of revelation, brought him into conflict with his former friends. A. W. Diekhoff, Franz Delitzsch (Fur and wider Kahnis, 1863) and Hengstenberg (Evangelische Kirchenzeitung, 1862) protested loudly against the heresy, and Kahnis replied to Hengstenberg in a vigorous pamphlet, Zeugniss fur die Grundwahrheiten des Protestantismus gegen Dr Hengstenberg (1862).. Other works by Kahnis are Lehre vom Abendmahl (1851), Der innere Gang des deutschen Protestantismus seit Matte des vorigen Jahrhunderts (1854; 3rd ed. in 2 vols., 1874; Eng. trans., 1856) ; Christentum and Luthertum 0870; Geschichte der deutschen Reformation, vol. i. (1872) ; Der Gang der Kirche in Lebensbildern (1881, &c.) ; and Ober des Verhaltnis der alten Philosophie zum Christentum (1884). K'AI-FENG FU, the capital of the province of Honan, China. It is situated in 34° 52' N., 114° 33' E., on a branch line of the Peking-Hankow railway, and forms also the district city of Siang-fu. A city on the present site was first built by Duke Chwang (774-700 B.C.) to mark off (k'ai) the boundary of'his fief (eng); hence its name. It has, however, passed under several aliases in Chinese history. During the Chow, Suy and T'ang dynasties (557-907) it was known as P'ien-chow. During the Wu-tai, or five dynasties (907-960), it was the Tung-king, or eastern capital. Under the Sung and Kin dynasties (96o-r26o) it was called P'ien-king. By the Yuan or Mongol dynasty (1260-1368) its name was again changed to P'ien-liang, and on the return of the Chinese to power with the establishment of the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), its original name was restored. The city is situated at the point where the last spur of the Kuen-lun mountain system merges in the eastern plain, and a few miles south of the Hwang-ho. Its position, therefore, lays it open to the destructive influences of this river. In 1642 it. was totally destroyed by a flood caused by the dikes bursting, and on several prior and subsequent occasions it has suffered injury from the same Cause. The city is large and imposing, with broad -streets and handsome buildings, the most notable of which are a twelve-storeyed pagoda 600 ft. high, and a watch tower from which, at a height of 200 ft., the inhabitants are able to observe the approach of the yellow waters of the river in times of flood. The city wall forms a substantial protection and is pierced by five gates. The whole neighbour-hood, which is the site of one of the earliest settlements of the Chinese in China, is full of historical associations, and it was in this city that the Jews who entered China in A.D. 1163 first established a colony. For many centuries these people held themselves aloof from the natives, and practised the rites of their religion in a temple built and supported by themselves. At last, however, they fell upon evil times, and in 1851, out of the seventy families which constituted the original colony, only seven remained. For fifty years no rabbi had ministered to the wants of this remnant. In 1853 the city was attacked by the T'ai-p'ing rebels, and, though at the first assault its defenders successfully resisted the enemy, it was subsequently taken. The captors looted and partially destroyed the town. It has now little commerce, but contains several schools on Western lines—including a government college opened in 1902, and a military school near the railway station. A mint was established in 1905, and there is a district branch of the imperial post. The population—largely Mahommedanwas estimated (1908) at 200,000. Jews numbered about 400.
End of Article: KARL FRIEDRICH AUGUST KAHNIS (1814-1888)
[back]
GUSTAVE KAHN (1859- )
[next]
KAIBAB

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.