Online Encyclopedia

KALMAR (CALMAR)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 643 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KALMAR (CALMAR), a seaport of Sweden on the Baltic coast, chief town of the district (Ian) of Kalmar, 250 in. S. S. W. of Stockholm by rail. Pop. (1900), 12,715. It lies opposite the island of Oland, mainly on two small islands, but partly on the mainland, where there is a pleasant park. The streets are regular, and most of the houses are of wood. The principal public edifices, however, are constructed of limestone from Oland, including the cathedral, built by Nicodemus Tessin and his son Nicodemus in the second half of the 17th century. Kalmar, a town of great antiquity, was formerly strongly fortified, and there remains the island-fortress of Kalmarnahus, dating partly from the 12th century, but mainly from the 16th and 17th. It contains the beautiful chamber of King Eric XIV. See 1. V. 1VIushketov, Geol. Researches in the Kalmyk Steppe in 1884—1885 (St Petersburg, 1894, in Russian) ; Kostenkov's works (1868—187o); and other works quoted in Semenov's Geogr. Diet. and Russ. Encycl. Diet. (P. A. K.; J. T. BE.)
End of Article: KALMAR (CALMAR)
[back]
BENJAMIN VON KALLAY (1839—1903)
[next]
KALMUCK, or KALMYK STEPPE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.