Online Encyclopedia

KAMMIN, or CAMMIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 646 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KAMMIN, or CAMMIN, a town in the Prussian province of Pomerania, 22 M. from the Baltic, on the Kamminsche Bodden, a lake connected with the sea by the Dievenow. Pop. (19o5), 5923. Among its four Evangelical churches, the cathedral and the church of St Mary are noteworthy. Iron-founding and brewing are carried on in the town, which has also some fishing and shipping. There is steamer communication with Stettin, about 40 M. S.S.W. Kammin is of Wendish origin, and obtained municipal privileges in 1274. From about 1200 till 1628 it was the seat of a bishopric, which at the latter date became a secular principality, being in 1648 incorporated with Brandenburg. See Kiichen, Geschichte der Stadt Kammin (Kammin, 1885).
End of Article: KAMMIN, or CAMMIN
[back]
LORD HENRY HOME KAMES (1696-1782)
[next]
KAMPEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.