Online Encyclopedia

KARLSKRONA [CARLSCRONA,]

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 679 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KARLSKRONA [CARLSCRONA,] a seaport of Sweden, on the Baltic coast, chief town of the district (Ian) of Blekinge, and head-quarters of the Swedish navy. Pop. (1900), 23,955. It is pleasantly situated upon islands and the mainland, 290 M. S.S.W. of Stockholm by rail: The harbour is capacious and secure, with a sufficient depth of water for the largest vessels. It has three entrances; the principal, and the only one practicable for large vessels, is to the south of the town, and is defended by two strong forts, at Drottningskar on the island of Aspo, and on the islet of Kungsholm. The dry docks, of great extent, are cut out of the solid granite. There is slip-accommodation for large vessels. Karlskrona is the seat of the Royal Naval Society, and has a navy-arsenal and hospital, and naval and other schools. Charles XI., the founder of the town as naval headquarters (168o), is commemorated by a bronze statue (1897). There are factories for naval equipments, galvanized metal goods, felt hats, canvas, leather and rice, and breweries and granite quarries. Exports are granite and timber; Imports, coal, flour, provisions, hides and machinery.
End of Article: KARLSKRONA [CARLSCRONA,]
[back]
KARLOWITZ, or CARLOWITZ (Hungarian, Karloeza; Croat...
[next]
KARLSRUHE, or CARLSRUHE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.