Online Encyclopedia

KEITH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 717 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KEITH, a police burgh of Banffshire, Scotland, on the Isla, 534 M. N.W. of Aberdeen by the Great North of Scotland rail-way. Pop. (1901), 4753• A branch of the Highland railway also gives access to Elgin, and there is a line to Buckie and Portessie on the Moray Firth. The burgh includes Old Keith and New Keithon the east bank of the Isla, and Fife-Keith on the west bank. Though Old Keith has a charter dating from William the Lion it fell into gradual decay; New Keith, founded in the 18th century by the second earl of Seafield, being better situated for the growth of a town. Fife-Keith has sprung up since 1816. The principal public buildings include the Turner memorial hospital, the Long-. more hall, and the Institute. In the Roman Catholic church there is a painting of the " Incredulity of St Thomas," presented by Charles X. of France. The industries include manufactures of tweeds, blankets, agricultural implements, and boots and shoes; there are also distilleries, breweries, flour mills, and lime and manure works. But the main importance of Keith lies in the fact that it is the centre of the agricultural trade of the shire. The " Summer Eve Fair " held in September is the largest cattle and horse fair in the north of Scotland; the town is also the head-quarters of the dressed-meat trade in the north.
End of Article: KEITH
[back]
KARL THEODOR KEIM (1825—1878)
[next]
FRANCIS EDWARD JAMES KEITH (1696-1758)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.