Online Encyclopedia

KENMORE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 729 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KENMORE, a village and parish of Perthshire, Scotland, 6 m. W. of Aberfeldy. Pop. of parish (19o1), 1271. It is situated at the foot of Loch Tay, near the point where the river Tay leaves the lake. Taymouth Castle, the seat of the Marquess of Breadalbane, stands near the base of Drummond Hill in a princely park through which flows the Tay. It is a stately four-storeyed edifice with corner towers and a central pavilion, and was built in 18o1 (the west wing being added in 1842) on the site of the mansion erected in 158o for Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. The old house was called Balloch (Gaelic, ballad', " the outlet of a lake "). Two miles S.W. of Kenmore are the Falls of the Acharn, 8o ft. high. When Wordsworth and his sister visited them in 1803 the grotto at the cascade was fitted up to represent a " hermit's mossy cell." At the village of Fortingall, on the north side of Loch Tay, are the shell of a yew conjectured to be 3000 years old and the remains of a Roman camp. Glenlyon House was the home of Campbell of Glenlyon, chief agent in the massacre of Glencoe. At Garth, 21 M. N.E., are the ruins of an ancient castle, said to have been a stronghold of Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch (1343-1405), in close proximity to the modern mansion built for Sir Donald Currie.
End of Article: KENMORE
[back]
KENITES
[next]
WILLIAM GORDON KENMURE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.