Online Encyclopedia

KHABAROVSK (known as KHABAROVKA until...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 769 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KHABAROVSK (known as KHABAROVKA until 1895), a town of Asiatic Russia, capital of the Amur region and of the Maritime Province. Pop. (1897), 14,932. It was founded in 1858 and is situated on a high cliff on the right bank of the Amur, at its confluence with the Usuri, in 48° 28' N. and 135° 6' E. It is connected by rail with Vladivostok (48o m.), and is an important entrep8t for goods coming down the Usuri and its tributary the Sungacha, as well as a centre of trade, especially in sables. The town is built of wood, and has a large cathedral, a monument (1891) to Count Muraviev-Amurskiy, a cadet corps (new building 1904), a branch of the Russian Geographical Society, with museum, and a technical railway school.
End of Article: KHABAROVSK (known as KHABAROVKA until 1895)
[back]
KEYSTONE
[next]
KHAIRAGARH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.