Online Encyclopedia

KHIVA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 778 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KHIVA, capital of the khanate of Khiva, in Western Asia, 25 M. W. of the Amu-darya and 240 M. W.N.W. of Bokhara. Pop. about ro,000. It is surrounded by a low earthen wall, and has a citadel, the residence of the khan and the higher officials. There are a score of mosques, of which the one containing the tomb of Polvan, the patron saint of Khiva, is the best, and four large madrasas (Mahommedan colleges). Large gardens exist in the western part of the town. A small Russian quarter has grown up. The inhabitants make carpets, silks and cottons.
End of Article: KHIVA
[back]
KHINGAN
[next]
FERNAND EDMOND JEAN MARIE KHNOPFF (1858– )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.