Online Encyclopedia

KILPATRICK, NEW, or EAST

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 797 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KILPATRICK, NEW, or EAST, also called BEARSDEN, a town of Dumbartonshire, Scotland, 52 M. N.W. of Glasgow by road, with a station on the North British railway company's branch line from Glasgow to Milngavie. Pop. (1901), 2705. The town is largely inhabited by business men from Glasgow. The public buildings include the Shaw convalescent home, Buchanan Retreat, house of refuge for girls, library, and St Peter's College, a fine structure, presented to the Roman Catholic Church in 1892 by the archbishop of Glasgow. There is some coal-mining, and lime is manufactured. Remains of the Wall of Antoninus are close to the town. At Garscube and Garscadden, both within 12 m. of New Kilpatrick, are extensive iron-works, and at the former place coal is mined and stone quarried.
End of Article: KILPATRICK, NEW, or EAST
[back]
KILN (0. E. cylene, from the Lat. culina, a kitchen...
[next]
OLD KILPATRICK

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.