Online Encyclopedia

KILSYTH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 798 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KILSYTH, a police burgh of Stirlingshire, Scotland, on the Kelvin, 13 in. N.N.E. of Glasgow by the North British railway, and close to the Forth and Clyde canal. Pop. (1901), 7292. The principal buildings are the town and public halls, and the academy. The chief industries are coal-mining and iron-works; there are also manufactures of paper and cotton, besides quarrying of whinstone and sandstone. There are considerable remains of the Wall of Antoninus south of the town, and to the north the ruins of the old castle. Kilsyth dates from the middle of the 17th century and became a burgh of barony in 1826. It was the scene of Montrose's defeat of the Covenanters on the 15th of August 1645. The town was the centre of remarkable religious revivals in 1742-3 and 1839, the latter conducted by William Chalmers Burns (1815-1868), the missionary to China.
End of Article: KILSYTH
[back]
KILRUSH
[next]
KILT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.