Online Encyclopedia

KIRRIEMUIR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 834 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KIRRIEMUIR, a police burgh of Forfarshire, Scotland. Pop. (Igor), 4096. It is situated on a height above the glen through which the Gairie flows, 64 m. N.W. of Forfar by a branch line of the Caledonian railway of which it is the terminus. There are libraries, a public hall and a park. The staple industry is linen-weaving. The hand-loom lingered longer here than in any other place in Scotland and is not yet wholly extinct. The Rev. Dr Alexander Whyte (b. 1837) and J. M. Barrie (b. 186o) are natives, the latter having made the town famous under the name of " Thrums." The original Secession church—the kirk of the Auld Lichts—was founded in 18o6 and rebuilt in 1893. Kinnordy, 12 m. N.W., was the birthplace of Sir Charles Lyell the geologist; and Cortachy castle, a fine mansion in the Scottish Baronial style, about 4 M. N., is the seat of the earl df Airlie.
End of Article: KIRRIEMUIR
[back]
KIRKWALL (Norse, Kirkjuvagr, " church bay ")
[next]
KIRSCH (or KIRSCHENWASSER)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.