Online Encyclopedia

KLADNO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 844 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KLADNO, a mining town of Bohemia, Austria, 18 m. W.N.W. of Prague by rail. Pop. (1900), 18,600, mostly Czech. It is situated in a region very rich in iron-mines and coal-fields and possesses some of the largest iron and steel works in Bohemia. Near it is the mining town of Buschtehrad (pop. 3510), situated in the centre of very extensive coal-fields. Buschtehrad was originally the name of the castle only. This was from the 15th century to 163o the property of the lords of Kolovrat, and came by devious inheritance through the grand-dukes of Tuscany, to the emperor Francis Joseph. The name Buschtehrad was first given to the railway, and then to the town, which had been called Buckow since its foundation in 1700. There is another castle of Buschtehrad near Hoi-ic. Kladno, which for centuries had been a village of no importance, was sold in 1705 by the grand-duchess Anna Maria of Tuscany to the cloister in Biewnow, to which it still belongs. The mining industry began in 1842.
End of Article: KLADNO
[back]
THEODOR KJERULF (1825-1888)
[next]
KATHARINA KLAFSKY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.