Online Encyclopedia

KLERKSDORP

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 846 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KLERKSDORP, a town of the Transvaal, 118 In. S.W. of Johannesburg and 192 M. N.E. of Kimberley by rail. Pop. (1904), 4276 of whom 2203 were whites. The town, built on the banks of the Schoonspruit 10 m. above its junction with the Vaal, possesses several fine public buildings. In the neighbourhood are gold-mines, the reef appearing to form the western boundary of the Witwatersrand basin. Diamonds (green in colour) and coal are also found in the district. Klerksdorp was one of the villages founded by the first Boers who crossed the Vaal, dating from 1838. The modern town, which is on the side of the spruit opposite the old village, was founded in r888.
End of Article: KLERKSDORP
[back]
EWALD CHRISTIAN VON KLEIST (1715–1759)
[next]
KLESL (or KLEESL), MELCHIOR (1552–1630)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.