Online Encyclopedia

KOBDO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 884 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KOBDO, a town of the Chinese Empire, in north-west Mongolia, at the northern foot of the Mongolian Altai, on the right bank of the Buyantu River, 13 M. from its entrance into Lake Khara-usu; 500 M. E.S.E. of Biysk (Russian), and 470 M. W. of Ulyasutai. It is situated amidst a dreary plain, and consists of a fortress, the residence of the governor of the Kobdo district, and a small trading town, chiefly peopled by Chinese and a few Mongols. It is, however, an important centre for trade between the cattle-breeding nomads and Peking. It was founded b'y the Chinese in 1731, and pillaged by the Mussulmans in 1872. The district of KOBDO occupies the north-western corner of Mongolia, and is peopled chiefly by Mongols, and also by Kirghiz and a few Soyotes, Uryankhes and Khotons. It is governed by a Chinese commissioner, who has under him a special Mongol functionary (Mongol, dzurgan). The chief monastery is at Ulangom. Considerable numbers of sheep (about. 1,000,0oo), sheepskins, sheep and camel wool are exported to China, while Chinese cottons, brick tea and various small goods are imported. Leather, velveteen, cotton, iron and copper goods boxes, &c., are imported from Russia in exchange for cattle, furs and wool. The absence of a cart road to Biysk hinders the development of this trade.
End of Article: KOBDO
[back]
KOALA (Phascolarctus cinereus)
[next]
BARON VON WOLFGANG XAVER FRANZ KOBELL (1803-1882)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.