Online Encyclopedia

KOLBERG (or COLBERG)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 888 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KOLBERG (or COLBERG), a town of Germany, and seaport of the Prussian province of Pomerania, on the right bank of the Persante, which falls into the Baltic about a mile below the town, and at the junction of the railway lines to Belgard and Gollnow. Pop. (1905), 22,804. It has a handsome market-place with a statue of Frederick William III.; and there are extensive suburbs, of which the most important is Mtinde. The principal buildings are the huge red-brick church of St Mary, with five aisles, one of the most remarkable churches in Pomerania, dating from the 14th century; the council-house(Rathaus), erected after the plans of Ernst F. Zwirner; and the citadel. Kolberg also possesses four other churches, a theatre, a gymnasium, a school of navigation, and an exchange. Its bathing establishments are largely frequented and attract a considerable number of summer visitors. It has a harbour at the mouth of the Persante, where there is a lighthouse. Woollen cloth, machinery and spirits are manufactured; there is an extensive salt-mine in the neighbouring Zillenberg; the salmon and lamprey fisheries are important; and a fair amount of commercial activity is maintained. In 1903 a monument was erected to the memory 'of Gneisenau and the patriot, Joachim Christian Nettelbeck (1738–1824), through whose efforts the town was saved from the French in 1806-7. Originally a Slavonic fort, Kolberg is one of the oldest places of Pomerania. At an early date it became the seat of a bishop, and although it soon lost this distinction it obtained municipal privileges in 1255. From about 1276 it ranked as the most important place in the episcopal principality of Kamin, and from 1284 it was a member of the Hanseatic League. During the Thirty Years' War it was captured by the Swedes in 1631, passing by the treaty of Westphalia to the elector of Brandenburg, Frederick William I., who strengthened its fortifications. The town was a centre of conflict during the Seven Years' War. In 1758 and again in 176o the Russians besieged Kolberg in vain, but in 1762 they succeeded in capturing it. Soon restored to Brandenburg, it was vigorously attacked by the French in 18o6 and i8o7, but it was saved by the long resistance of its inhabitants. In 1887 the fortifications of the town were razed, and it has since become a fashionable watering-place, receiving annually nearly 15,000 visitors. See Riemann, Geschichte der Sladt Kolberg (Kolberg, 1873) ; Stoewer, Geschichte der Stadt Kolberg (Kolberg, 1897) ; Schonlein, Geschichte der Belagerungen Kolbergs in den Jahren 1758, 1760, 1761 and 1807 (Kolberg, 1878) ; and Kempin, Fiihrer durch Bad Kolberg (Kolberg, 1899).
End of Article: KOLBERG (or COLBERG)
[back]
ADOLPHE WILHELM HERMANN KOLBE (1818–1884)
[next]
FERENCZ KOLCSEY (1740-1838)

Additional information and Comments

Kolberg - Collberg - Kołobrzeg - please correct - the town in (1945) Poland (Polska)
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.