Online Encyclopedia

KOLDING

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 889 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KOLDING, a town of Denmark in the amt (county) of Vejle, on the east coast of Jutland, on the Koldingfjord, an inlet of the Little Belt, 9 M. N. of the German frontier. Pop. (Igor), 12,516. It is on the Eastern railway of Jutland. The harbour throughout has a depth of over 20 ft. A little to the north-west is the splendid remnant of the royal castle Koldinghuus, formerly called Oernsborg or Arensborg. It was begun by Duke Abel in 1248; in 18o8 it was burned. The large square tower was built by Christian IV. (1588-1648), and was surmounted by colossal statues, of which one is still standing. It contains an antiquarian and historical museum (1892). The name of Kolding occurs in the loth century, but its earliest known town-rights date from 1321. In 1644 it was the scene of a Danish victory over the Swedes, and on the 22nd of April 1849 of a Danish defeat by the troops of Schleswig-Holstein. A comprehensive view of the Little Belt with its islands, and over the mainland, is obtained from the Skamlingsbank, a slight elevation 82 m. S.E., where an obelisk (1863) commemorates the effort made to preserve the Danish language in Schleswig.
End of Article: KOLDING
[back]
FERENCZ KOLCSEY (1740-1838)
[next]
KOLGUEV

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.