Online Encyclopedia

KOMOTAU (Czech, Chomiitov)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 892 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KOMOTAU (Czech, Chomiitov), a town of Bohemia, Austria 79 M. N.N.W. of Prague by rail. Pop. (1900), 15,925, almost exclusively German. It has an old Gothic church, and its town-hall was formerly a commandery of the Teutonic knights. The industrial establishments comprise manufactories of woollen cloth, linen and paper, dyeing houses, breweries, distilleries, vinegar works and the central workshops of the Buschtehrad railway. Lignite is worked in the neighbourhood. Komotau was origin-ally a Czech market-place, but in 1252 it came into the possession of the Teutonic Order and was completely Germanized. In 1396 it received a town charter; and in 1416 the knights sold both town and lordship to Wenceslaus IV. On the 16th of March 1421, the town was stormed by the Taborites, sacked and burned. After several changes of ownership, Komotau came in 1588 to Popel of Lobkovic, who established the Jesuits here, which led to trouble between the Protestant burghers and the over-lord. In 1594 the lordship fell to the crown, and in 1605 the town purchased its freedom and was created a royal city.
End of Article: KOMOTAU (Czech, Chomiitov)
[back]
KOMATI
[next]
COUNT JUTARO KOMURA (1855- )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.