Online Encyclopedia

KONIGSHUTTE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 895 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KONIGSHUTTE, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, situated in the middle of the Upper Silesian coal and iron district, 3 M. S. of Beuthen and 122 M. by rail S.E. of Breslau. Pop. (1852), 4495; (1875), 26,040; (1900), 57,919. In 1869 it was incorporated with various neighbouring villages, and raised to the dignity of a town. It has two Protestant and three Roman Catholic churches and several schools and benevolent institutions. The largest iron-works in Silesia is situated at Konigshutte, and includes puddling works, rolling-mills, and zinc-works. Founded in 1797, it was formerly in the hands of government, but is now carried on by a company. There are also manufactures of bricks and glass and a trade in wood and coal. Nearly one-half of the population of the town consists of Poles. See Mohr, Geschichte der Stadt Konigshutte (Konigshutte, 189o).
End of Article: KONIGSHUTTE
[back]
KONIGSBORN
[next]
KONIGSLUTTER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.