Online Encyclopedia

KONITZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 896 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KONITZ, a town of Germany, in the province of West Prussia, at the junction of railways to Schneidemuhl and Gnesen, 68 m. S.W. of Danzig. Pop. (1905), 11,014. It is still surrounded by its old fortifications, has two Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches, a new town-hall, handsome public offices, and a prison. It has iron-foundries, saw-mills, electrical works, and manufactures of bricks. Konitz was the first fortified post established in Prussia by Hermann Balk, who in 1230 had been commissioned as Landmeister, by the grand-master of the Teutonic order, to reduce the heathen Prussians. For a long time it continued to be a place of military importance. See Uppenkamp, Geschichte der Stadt Konitz (Konitz, 1873).
End of Article: KONITZ
[back]
van Koening] de Koningh PHILIP DE [de Ceninck KONIN...
[next]
KONKAN, or CONCAN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.