Online Encyclopedia

KOSZEG (Ger. Guns)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 919 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KOSZEG (Ger. Guns), a town in the county of Vas, in Hungary, 173 M. W. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900), 7422. It is pleasantly situated in the valley of the Guns, and is dominated towards the west by the peaks of Altenhaus (2000 ft.) and of the Geschriebene Stein (2900 ft.). It possesses a castle of Count Esterhazy, a modern Roman Catholic Church in Gothic style and two convents. It has important cloth factories and a lively trade in fruit and wine. The town has a special historical interest for the heroic and successful defence of the fortress by Nicolas Jurisics against a large army of Sultan Soliman, in July‚ÄďAugust 1532, which frustrated the advance of the Turks to Vienna for that year. To the south-east of Koszeg, at the confluence of the Guns with the Raab, is situated the town of Sarvar (pop. 3158), formerly fortified, where in 1526 the first printing press in Hungary was established.
End of Article: KOSZEG (Ger. Guns)
[back]
KOSTROMA
[next]
KOTAH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.