Online Encyclopedia

KREMSIER (Czech, Kromeriz)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 925 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KREMSIER (Czech, Kromeriz), a town of Austria, in Moravia, 37 M. E. by N. of Briinn by rail. Pop. (1900), 13,991, mostly Czech. It is situated on the March, in the fertile region of the Hanna, and not far from the confluence of these two rivers. It is the summer residence of the bishop of Olmutz, whose palace, surrounded by a fine park and gardens, and containing a picture gallery, library and various collections, forms the chief object of interest. Its industries include the manufacture of machinery and iron-founding, brewing and corn-milling, and there is a considerable trade in corn, cattle, fruit and manufactures. In 1131 Kremsier was the seat of a bishopric. It suffered considerably during the Hussite war; and in 1643 it was taken and burned by the Swedes. After the rising of 1848 the Austrian parliament met in the palace at Kremsier from November 1848 till March 1849. In August 1885 a meeting took place here between the Austrian and the Russian emperors.
End of Article: KREMSIER (Czech, Kromeriz)
[back]
KREMS
[next]
KONRADIN KREUTZER (1780–184.9)

Additional information and Comments

Your article is very obsolete. The town is not in Austria but in the Czech republic (in former Czechoslovakia since 1918), in its eastern part: Moravia.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.