Online Encyclopedia

KRISTIANSTAD (CHRISTIANSTAD)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 927 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KRISTIANSTAD (CHRISTIANSTAD), a port of Sweden, chief town of the district (lan) of Kristianstad, on a peninsula in Lake Sjovik, an expansion of the river Helge, to m. from the Baltic. Pop. (1000), 10,318. Its harbour, custom-house, &c., are at Ahus at the mouth of the river. It is among the first twelve manufacturing towns of Sweden as regards value of output, having engineering works, flour-mills, distilleries, weaving mills and sugar factories. Granite and wood-pulp are exported, and coal and grain imported. The town is the seat of the court of appeal for the provinces of Skane and Blekinge. It was foundedand fortified in 1614 by Christian IV. of Denmark, who built the fine ornate church. The town was ceded to Sweden in 1658, retaken by Christian V. in 1676, and again acquired by Sweden in 1678.
End of Article: KRISTIANSTAD (CHRISTIANSTAD)
[back]
KRISHNAGAR
[next]
KRIVOY ROG

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.