Online Encyclopedia

KUFA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 941 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KUFA, a Moslem city, situated on the shore of the Hindieh canal, about 4 M. E. by N. of Nejef (32° 4' N., 440 20' E.), was founded by the Arabs after the battle of Kadesiya in A.D. 638 as one of the two capitals of the new territory of Irak, the whole country being divided into the sawads, or districts, of Basra and Kufa. The caliph 'Ali made it his residence and the capital of his caliphate. After the removal of the capital to Bagdad, in the middle of the following century, Kufa lost its importance and began to fall into decay. At the beginning of the 19th century, travellers reported extensive and important ruins as marking the ancient site. Since that time the ruins have served as quarries for bricks for the building of Nejef, and at the present time little remains but holes in the ground, representing excavations for bricks, with broken fragments of brick and glass strewn over a considerable area. A mosque still stands on the spot where 'Ali is reputed to have worshipped. (For history see CALIPHATE.)
End of Article: KUFA
[back]
ABRAHAM KUENEN (1828-1891)
[next]
FRANZ FELIX ADALBERT KUHN (1812–1881)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.