Online Encyclopedia

KUMISHAH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 946 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KUMISHAH, a district and town in the province of Isfahan, Persia. The district, which has a length of 5C and a breadth of 16 m., and contains about 40 villages, produces much grain. The town is situated on the high road from Isfahan to Shiraz, 52 M. S. of the former. It was a flourishing city several miles in circuit when it was destroyed by the Afghans in 1722, but is now a decayed place, with crumbled walls and mouldering towers and a population of barely 15,000. It has post and telegraph offices. South of the city and extending to the village Maksudbeggi, t6 m. away, is a level plain, which in 1835 (February 28) was the scene of a battle in which the army (2000 men, 16 guns) of Mahommed Shah, commanded by Sir H. Lindsay-Bethune, routed the much superior combined forces (6000 men) of the shah's two rebellious uncles, Firman-Firma and Shuja es Saltana.
End of Article: KUMISHAH
[back]
KUMAON
[next]
KUMQUAT (Citrus japonica)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.