Online Encyclopedia

KUOPIO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 948 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KUOPIO, capital of the Finnish province of that name, situated on Lake Kalla-vesi, 18o m. by rail from the Kuivola junction of the St Petersburg-Helsingfors main line. Pop. (1904), 13,519. It is picturesquely situated, is the seat of a bishop, and has a cathedral, two lyceums and two gymnasia (both for boys and girls), a commercial and several professional schools. There is an agricultural school at Levais, close by. Kuopio, in consequence of its steamer communication with middle Finland and the sea (via Saima Canal), is a trading centre of considerable importance.
End of Article: KUOPIO
[back]
KUNZITE
[next]
KUPRILI

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.