Online Encyclopedia

KUTAIS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V15, Page 955 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
KUTAIS, a town of Russian Caucasia, capital of the government of the same name, 6o m. by rail E. of Poti and 5 M. from the Rion station of the railway between Poti and Tiflis. Pop. (1897), 32,492. It is one of the oldest towns of Caucasia, having been the ancient capital (Aea or Kutaea) of Colchis, and later the capital of Imeretia (from ?92); Procopius mentions it under the name of Kotatision. Persians, Mongols, Turks and Russians have again and again destroyed the town and its fortress. In 18ro it became Russian. It is situated on both banks of the Rion river, which is spanned by three bridges. Its most remarkable building is the ruined cathedral, erected in the 11th century by the Bagratids, the ruling dynasty of Georgia, and destroyed by the Turks in 1692; it is the most important representative extant of Georgian architecture. The fort, mentioned by Procopius, is now a heap of ruins, destroyed by the Russians in 1770. The inhabitants make hats and silks, and trade in agricultural produce and wine. On the right bank of the Rion is a government model garden, with a model farm. KUT-EL-AMARA, a small town in Turkish Asia, on the east bank of the Tigris (32° 29' 19" N., 44 45' 37" E.) at the point where the Shaft-el-Hai leaves that stream. It is a coaling station of the steamers plying between Basra and Bagdad, and 'an important Turkish post for the control of the lower Tigris.
End of Article: KUTAIS
[back]
KUTAYA KUTAIAH
[next]
KUTENAI (Kutonaga)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.