Online Encyclopedia

LAFAYETTE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 68 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LAFAYETTE, a city and the county-seat of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, U.S.A., situated at the former head of navigation on the Wabash river, about 64 m. N.W. of Indianapolis. Pop. (1900) 18,116, of whom 2266 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 20,081. It is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, the Lake Erie & Western, and the Wabash railways, and by the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern (electric), and the Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley (electric) railways. The river is not now navigable at this point. Lafayette is in the valley of the Wabash river, which is sunk below the normal level of the plain, the surrounding heights being the walls of the Wabash basin. The city has an excellent system of public schools, a good public library, two hospitals, the Wabash Valley Sanitarium (Seventh Day Adventist), St Anthony's Home for old people and two orphan asylums. It is the seat of Purdue University, a co-educational, technical and agricultural institution, opened in 1874 and named in honour of John Purdue (1802—1876), who gave it $15o,000. This university is under state control, and received the proceeds of the Federal agricultural college grant of 1862 and of the second Morrill Act of 189c; in connexion with it there is an agricultural experiment station. It had in 1908 1909 180 instructors, 1900 students, and a library of 25,000 volumes and pamphlets. Just outside the city is the State Soldiers' Home, where provision is also made for the wives and widows of soldiers; in 1908 it contained 553 men and 700 women. The city lies in the heart of a rich agricultural region, and is an important market for grain, produce and horses. Among its manufactures are beer, foundry and machine shop products (the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville railway has shops here), straw board, telephone apparatus, paper, wagons, packed meats, canned goods, flour and carpets; the value of the factory product increased from $3,514,276 in 1900 to $4,631,415 in 1905, or 31.8%. The municipality owns its water works. Lafayette is about 5 M. N.E. of the site of the ancient Wea (Miami) Indian village known as Ouiatanon, where the French established a post about 1720. The French garrison gave way to the English about 1760; the stockade fort was destroyed during the conspiracy of Pontiac, and was never rebuilt. The head-quarters of Tecumseh and his brother, the " Prophet," were established 7 m. N. of Lafayette near the mouth of the Tippecanoe river, and the settlement there was known as the " Prophet's Town." Near this place, and near the site of the present village of Battle Ground (where the Indiana Methodists now have a summer encampment and a camp meeting in August), was fought on the 7th of November 1811 the battle of Tippecanoe, in which the Indians were decisively defeated by Governor William Henry Harrison, the whites losing 188 in killed and wounded and the Indians about an equal number. The battle ground is owned by the state; in 1907 the state legislature and the United States Congress each appropriated $12,500 for a monument, which took the form of a granite shaft; 90 ft. high. The first American settlers on the site of Lafayette appeared about 182o, and the town was laid out in 1825, but for many years its growth was slow. The completion of the Wabash and Erie canal marked a new era in its development, and in 1854 Lafayette was incorporated. LA FERTE, the name of a number of localities in France, differentiated by agnomens. La Ferte Imbault (department of Loir-et-Cher) was in the possession of Jacques d'ttampes (159o-1668), marshal of France and ambassador in England, who was known as the marquis of La Ferte Imbault. La Ferte Nabert (the modern La Ferte Saint Aubin, department of Loiret) was acquired in the 16th century by the house of Saint Nectaire (corrupted to Senneterre), and erected into a duchy in the peerage of France (duche-pairie) in 1665 for Henri de Saint Nectaire, marshal of France. It was called La Ferte Lowendal after it had been acquired by Marshal Lowendal in 1748. LA FERT$-BERNARD, a town of western France, in the department of Sarthe, on the Huisne, 27 M. N.E. of Le Mans, on the railway from Paris to that town. Pop. (1906) 4358. La Ferte carries on cloth manufacture and flour-milling and has trade in horses and cattle. Its church of Notre Dame has a choir (16th century) with graceful apse-chapels of Renaissance architecture and remarkable windows of the same period; the remainder of the church is in the. Flamboyant Gothic style. The town hall occupies the superstructure and flanking towers of a fortified gateway of the 15th century. La Ferte-Bernard owes its origin and name to a stronghold (fermete) built about the 11th century and afterwards held by the family of Bernard. In 1424 it did not succumb to the English troops till after a four months' siege. It belonged in the 16th century to the family of Guise and supported the League, but was captured by the royal forces in 1590. LA FERT$-MILON, a town of northern France in the department of Aisne on the Ourcq, 47 M. W. by S. of Reims by rail. Pop. (1906) 1563. The town has imposing remains comprising one side flanked by four towers of an unfinished castle built about the beginning of the 15th century by Louis of Orleans, brother of Charles VI. The churches of St Nicholas and Notre-Dame, chiefly of the 16th century, both contain fine old stained glass. Jean Racine, the poet, was born in the town, and a statue by David d'Augers has been erected to him.
End of Article: LAFAYETTE
[back]
LAEVULINIC ACID ((3-acetopropionic acid), C5H803
[next]
JACQUES LAFFITTE (1767-1844)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.