Online Encyclopedia

LAMBALLE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 106 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LAMBALLE, a town of north-western France, in the department of Cotes-du-Nord, on the Gouessant 13 M. E.S.E. of St Brieuc by rail. Pop. (1906) 4347. Crowning the eminence on which the town is built is a beautiful Gothic church (13th and 14th centuries), once the chapel of the castle of the counts of Penthievre. La Noue, the famous Huguenot leader, was mortally wounded in 1591 in the siege of the castle, which was dismantled in 1626 by Richelieu. Of the other buildings, the church of St Martin (11th, 15th and 16th centuries) is the chief. Lamballe has an important tiaras (depot for stallions) and carries on trade in grain, tanning and leather-dressing; earthenware is manufactured in the environs. Lamballe was the capital of the territory of the counts of Penthievre, who in 1569 were made dukes.
End of Article: LAMBALLE
[back]
CHARLES LAMB (1775–1834)
[next]
PRINCESSE DE MARIE THERESE LOUISE OF SAVOYCARIGNANO...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.