Online Encyclopedia

LANDSBERG AM LECH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 166 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LANDSBERG AM LECH, a town in the kingdom of Bavaria, on the river Lech, 38 m. by rail W. by S. of Munich. Pop. (1905) 6505. It has eight Roman Catholic churches, among them the Liebfrauen Kirche dating from 1498, several monasteries, and a fine medieval town-hall, with frescoes by Karl von Piloty and a painting by Hubert von Herkomer. Here also are a fine gateway, the Bayer-Tor, an agricultural and other schools. Brewing, tanning and the manufacture of agricultural machinery are among the principal industries. See Schober, Landsberg am Lech and Umgebung (1902); and Zwerger, Geschzchte Landsbergs (1889). LANDSBERG-AN-DER-WARTHE, a town in the Prussian province of Brandenburg, at the confluence of the Warthe and the Kladow, So m. N.E. of Berlin by rail. Pop. (1905) 36,934. It has important engine and boiler works and iron-foundries; there are also manufactures of tobacco, cloth, carriages, wools, spirits, jute products and leather. An active trade is carried on in wood, cattle and the produce of the surrounding country. Landsberg obtained civic privileges in 1257, and later was besieged by the Poles and then by the Hussites. See R. Eckert, Geschichie von Landsberg-Warthe (189o).
End of Article: LANDSBERG AM LECH
[back]
LANDOUR
[next]
LANDSBERG BEI HALLE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.