Online Encyclopedia

LANGHOLM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 174 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LANGHOLM, a burgh of barony and police burgh of Dumfries-shire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 3142. It is situated on both sides of the Esk, 16 m. N.E. of Annan, the terminus of a branch line connecting with the North British railway system at Riddings Junction. The Esk is crossed by a three-arched stone bridge, uniting the old town on the left bank with the new on the right, and a suspension bridge. Ewes Water, which falls into the river, is spanned by a two-arched bridge, 1 m. N. of the town. The public buildings include the town hall—a substantial edifice with a tower rising in three tiers from the body of the structure, the Telford library, and the Hope hospital for aged poor. Already famous for its plaids and blankets, the prosperity of the burgh advanced when it took up the manufacture of tweeds. Distilling, brewing, dyeing and tanning are also important industries. The Esk and Liddel being favourite fishing streams, Langholm is the headquarters of the association which protects the rights of anglers. About 1m. to the N.W. stands Langholm Lodge, a seat of the duke of Buccleuch, and some 4 M. S.E. is Gilnockie Tower, the peel-house that belonged to Johnny Armstrong, the freebooter, who was executed by order of James V. in 1530.
End of Article: LANGHOLM
[back]
SIMON LANGHAM (d. 1376)
[next]
JOHN LANGHORNE (1735–1779)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.