Online Encyclopedia

LANNION

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 183 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LANNION, a town of north-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Cotes-du-Nord, on the right bank of the Leguer, 45 M. W.N.W. of St Brieuc by rail. Pop. (1go6) J336. Lannion is 5 M. in direct line from the mouth of the Leguer; its port does a small trade (exports of agricultural produce, imports of wine, salt, timber, &c.), and there is an-LA NOUE 183 active fishing industry. The town contains many houses of the 15th and 16th centuries and other old buildings, the chief of which is the church of St Jean-du-Baly (16th and 17th centuries). On an eminence close to Lannion is the church of Brelevenez of the 12th century, restored in the 15th or 16th century; it has an interesting 16th-century Holy Sepulchre. Some 6 in. S.E. of the town are the imposing ruins of the chateau of Tonquedec (c. 1400) styled the " Pierrefonds of Brittany," and there are other buildings of antiquarian interest in the vicinity. The coast north of Lannion at Tregastel and Ploumanac presents curious rock formations. Lannion is ;he seat of a subprefect and has a tribunal of first instance and a communal college. Its industries include saw-milling, tanning and the manufacture of farm implements. The town was taken in 1346 by the English; it was defended against them by Geoffroy de Pontblanc whose valour is commemorated by a cross close to the spot where he was slain.
End of Article: LANNION
[back]
JEAN LANNES
[next]
GUILLEBERT DE LANNOY (1386—1462)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.