Online Encyclopedia

LARGS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 216 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LARGS, a police burgh and watering place of Ayrshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 3246. It is situated 43 M. W. by S. of Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western railway. Its fine beach and dry, bracing climate have attracted many wealthy residents, and the number of summer visitors is also large. The public buildings include the Clark hospital, the Victoria infirmary convalescent home and the Stevenson institute and mechanics' library. Skelmorlie Aisle, the sole relic of the old parish church of St Columba, was converted into a mausoleum in 1636. Near it a mound covers remains, possibly those of the Norwegians who fell in the battle (1263) between Alexander III. and Haco, king of Norway. The harbour is used mainly by Clyde passenger steamers and yachtsmen. From the quay a - broad esplanade has been constructed northwards round the bay, and there is an excellent golf course. Kelburne Castle, 2 M. S., a seat of the earl of Glasgow, stands in romantic scenery. FAIRLIE, 3 M. S., another seaside resort, with a station on the Glasgow & South-Western railway, is the connecting-point for Millport on Great Cumbrae. Once a fishing village, it has acquired a great reputation for its yachts.
End of Article: LARGS
[back]
NICOLAS LARGILLIERE (1656-1746)
[next]
SCRIBONIUS LARGUS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.