Online Encyclopedia

LAUDER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 279 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LAUDER, a royal and police burgh of Berwickshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 719. It is situated on the Leader, 29 M. S.E. of Edinburgh by the North British railway's branch line from Fountainhall, of which it is the terminus. The burgh is said to date from the reign of William the Lion (1165–1214); its charter was granted in 1502. In 1482 James III. with his court and army rested here on the way to raise the siege of Berwick. While the nobles were in the church considering grievances, Robert Cochrane,recently created earl of Mar, one of the king's favourites, whose " removal " was at the very moment under discussion, demanded admittance. Archibald Douglas, earl of Angus, opened the door and seized Mar, who was forthwith dragged to Lauder Bridge and there, along with six other obnoxious favourites, hanged in sight of his royal master. It was in connexion with this exploit that Angus acquired the nickname of " Bell-the-cat." The public buildings include a town-hall and a library. The parish church was built in 1673 by the earl of Lauderdale, in exchange for the older edifice, the site of which was required for the enlargement of Thirlestane castle, which, originally a fortress, was then remodelled for a residence. The town is a favourite with anglers.
End of Article: LAUDER
[back]
LAUDANUM
[next]
SIR THOMAS DICK LAUDER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.