Online Encyclopedia

LAVAUR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 291 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LAVAUR, a town of south-western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Tarn, 37 M. S.E. of Montauban by rail. Pop. (1906), town 4069; commune 6388. Lavaur stands on the left bank of the Agout, which is here crossed by a railway-bridge and a fine stone bridge of the late 18th century. From 1317 till the Revolution Lavaur was the seat of a bishopric, and there is a cathedral dating from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, with an octagonal bell-tower; a second smaller square tower contains a jaquemart (a statue which strikes the hours with a hammer) of the 16th century. In the bishop's garden is the statue of Emmanuel Augustin, marquis de Las Cases, one of the companions of Napoleon at St Helena. The town carries on distilling and flour-milling and the manufacture of brushes, plaster and wooden shoes. There are a subprefecture and tribunal of first instance. Lavaur was taken in 1211 by Simon de Montfort during the wars of the Albigenses, and several times during the religious wars of the 16th century.
End of Article: LAVAUR
[back]
JOHANN KASPAR LAVATER (1741—1801)
[next]
HENRI LEON SMILE LAVEDAN (1859— )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.