Online Encyclopedia

LEIGHTON BUZZARD

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 399 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEIGHTON BUZZARD, a market town in the southern parliamentary division of Bedfordshire, England, 40 M. N.W. of London by the London & North-Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 6331. It lies in the flat valley of the Ouzel, a tributary of the Ouse, sheltered to east and west by low hills. The river here forms the county boundary with Buckinghamshire. The Grand Junction canal follows its course, and gives the town extensive water-communications. The church of All Saints is cruciform, with central tower and spire. It is mainly Early English, and a fine example of the style; but some of the windows including the nave clerestory, and the beautiful carved wooden roof, are Perpendicular. The west door has good early iron-work; and on one of the tower-arch pillars are some remarkable early carvings of jocular character, one of which represents a man assaulted by a woman with a ladle. The market cross is of the 14th century, much restored, having an open arcade supporting a pinnacle, with flying buttresses. The statues in its niches are modern, but the originals are placed on the exterior of the town hall. Leighton has a considerable agricultural trade, and some industry in straw-plaiting. Across the Ouzel in Buckinghamshire, where Leighton railway station is situated, is the urban district of Linslade (pop. 2157).
End of Article: LEIGHTON BUZZARD
[back]
EDWARD LEIGH (1602–1671)
[next]
BARON FREDERICK LEIGHTON LEIGHTON (183o–1896)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.