Online Encyclopedia

LEIXOES

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 405 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEIXOES, a seaport and harbour of refuge of northern Portugal; in 41° 9' 10" N., 8° 40' 35" W., 3 M. N. of the mouth of the Douro. Leixoes is included in the parish of Matozinhos (pop. 1900, 7690) and constitutes the main port of the city of Oporto (q.v.), with which it is connected by an electric tramway. The harbour, of artificial construction, has an area of over 220 acres, and admits vessels of any size, the depth at the entrance being nearly 50 ft. The transference of cargo to and from ships lying in the Leixoes basin is effected entirely by means of lighters from Oporto. In addition to wine, &c., from Oporto, large numbers of emigrants to South America are taken on board here. The trade of the port is mainly in British hands, and large numbers of British ships call at Leixoes on the voyage between Lisbon and Liverpool, London or Southampton.
End of Article: LEIXOES
[back]
LEITRIM
[next]
BARON LOUIS FRANCOIS LEJEUNE (1776-1848)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.